|Codeine is methyl-morphine|
So it was with a certain joy that I read
Codeine prescription restrictions - UpdateEMA-CMDh (2015)
(European Medicines Agency – Coordination Group for Mutual Recognition and Decentralised Procedures - Human)
Use of codeine for cough and cold
- contraindicated in children below 12 years. This means it must not be used in this patient group.
- not recommended in children and adolescents between 12 and 18 years who have breathing problems
- Codeine cough syrup is not available over-the-counter (OTC) without a prescription
- Record keeping by the dispensing pharmacist is now mandated
- Committee on Drugs, American Academy of Pediatrics. Use of codeine-and dextromethorphan-containing cough remedies in children. Pediatrics 1997;99:918-20
- EMA-CMDh. Codeine Article-31 referral - Codeine not to be used in children below 12 years for cough and cold. EMA/249413/2015. 24 April 2015
- Herbert ME, Brewster GS. Myth: codeine is an effective cough suppressant for upper respiratory tract infections. West J Med 2000;173:283.