Adolescence is characterised by experimentation
How would a teenager know the experiment has gone out of control?
(Knight JR; Sherritt L; Shrier LA//Harris SK//Chang G. Validity of the CRAFFT substance abuse screening test among adolescent clinic patients. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent 156(6) 607-614, 2002.)
The CRAFFT questions
- C - Have you ever ridden in a CAR driven by someone (including yourself) who was "high" or had been using alcohol or drugs?
- R - Do you ever use alcohol or drugs to RELAX, feel better about yourself, or fit in?
- A - Do you ever use alcohol/drugs while you are by yourself, ALONE?
- F - Do your family or FRIENDS ever tell you that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- F - Do you ever FORGET things you did while using alcohol or drugs?
- T - Have you gotten into TROUBLE while you were using alcohol or drugs?
2 or more YES answers suggests a 94% chance of significant alcohol related problems