|Aggression is uncommon in school children and should be addressed|
Trajectories of aggression in children
- Early noncompliance - with excessive arguing and disobedience
- Poor rule adherence - staying out late, playing in prohibited locations
- Low frustration tolerance - temper tantrums, abusiveness, aggression
Parenting can prevent violence
- Make aggression irrelevant by modifying the setting
- Make aggression ineffective by modifying its consequences
- Parents need to establish their authority and implement some of these measures in aggressive children. This teaches children that aggression is an ineffective means of fulfilling a particular wish. These lessons are better learned early under caring parents rather than later in a centre for juvenile delinquents.
Brennan LM. Toddler-age externalizing behaviors and school-age academic achievement: independent associations and the impact of parental involvement University of Pittsburgh. Thesis presented 27-Aug-2010.